Surgical Implant Home Care Instructions
- Wear loose fitting comfortable clothing.
- If you wear removable dentures, retainers or any other mouth gear, bring your case with you.
- We encourage you to eat prior to surgery.
- Please take the following prescriptions one hour prior to surgery:
- Dexamthasone 4mg, take two tablets (continue taking as directed after surgery, until finished.
- Amoxicilin 500mg OR Clindamycin 150mg, take four tablets (continue taking as directed after surgery, until finished.
- Take Tylenol #3 with Codeine as needed for pain.
- When preparing your after surgery menu, we recommend the following: jello, banana, yogurt, pasta, milk shakes, casseroles, eggs, fish, cottage cheese, Ensure/Slim Fast, soups, pudding, rice, apple sauce, oatmeal, macaroni & cheese or mashed potatoes.
- In order to evaluate your progress and healing, we will see you for weekly post-operative checks during the first 1-5 weeks. After surgery, in most cases, we will also look forward to seeing you back for cleaning and examination of tissue about 10-12 weeks following the surgery.
- A small amount of bleeding is normal. If excessive or continuous bleeding occurs:
- Do not rinse your mouth.
- Elevate your head when lying down.
- Apply moistened gauze to the immediate area with moderate pressure for 20 minutes, repeat if necessary.
- Enclose a moistened tea bag in a gauze square and apply pressure for 20 minutes.
- Call the office if bleeding persists.
- Do not smoke for at least 2 weeks following your surgical procedure.
- Do not drink alcohol while taking prescription pain medications.
- Do not rinse for the first 48 hours.
- Do not brush the surgical site. You may resume normal brushing/flossing in other areas the following day.
Should you have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to call the office.